Thursday, October 21, 2021

When the dust settles . . .

The past 18 months have been difficult.  Difficult for all of us.  No need to recount all the changes that have impacted every aspect of our lives during those months, they're all too familiar.  It is purposeful however to consider how recent changes will impact us in the time to come.  The big question for me is, will things ever return to normal?  Perhaps the answer is simply, this is the "new" normal.  Roll with it.

A new way of doing business.  Handshakes are out.  Fist bumps are in.  Hugs are definitely a thing of the past.  No need to smile behind that mask.  The list is endless.  And change does not come easy for anybody over 50 (or considerably older.)  But accept it we must for fear of becoming the dinosaur.  The pariah.  

But some of the ways of the past may still have merit.  And as I sat on a beach last week contemplating what may be on my horizon, I thought about what might be on yours as well.  And a return to "old school" training methods moved to the top of my list. 


Over the past few days I've mentioned several times that this entire practice week's training plan, as I'd written it out, mirrored one I'd used many years ago with an extraordinary team.  What I realized after putting it to paper was that much more was demanded of those kids than what I've asked from you.  I've gone as far to tell you the old "championship" season workouts, and then made considerable reductions for this team. Look at the middle portion of yesterday's workout. Some of you struggled to complete 3 x 800s.  Nobody was asked to complete more than 4.  "Old school" workout?  4-5 x 1000 for everybody. 

Lest you think the problem as I relate it rests with you . . . relax.  You've done everything that has been asked of you.  Without hesitation.  Without question.  But you should be demanding more from me. I should never have strayed from my "baby boomer" upbringing to take on the characteristics of a much "softer" Generation Y (no offense intended.)  

And so it is.  After considerable contemplation I've decided to roll it back.  Change  is on the horizon. And I'm going to enjoy being a dinosaur. I also owe it to the very talented young athletes on our teams.  These changes won't be immediate, but I have a new plan moving forward.  You'll be challenged and you'll love it.  But change is inevitable . . . because the dust NEVER really settles, does it?


2 comments:

  1. Back in my day we did 5 1200s as freshman (with plenty of style and drip+ efficiently) 🥵
    Everyone in town feared us as we ran by the barbershop
    Love ya coach 💪 still running
    Trevor

    ReplyDelete