Thursday, June 16, 2022

"Consistency is the Key" and XC Meeting Information

I just finished a book I might have written.  I didn't of course, but Coach Jay Johnson in his book, Consistency is the Key, echoes many of the things we've adopted and spoken about over the years.  The fact that Johnson sub-titles his work "15 Ways to Unlock Your Potential as a High School Runner" makes it even more relevant.  It's a short read but definitely worth spending the hour or so needed for a first "run through", and it is a good reference book beyond that.  I've requested 25 or so of these books at a deep discount and will make them available at cost if and when they become available.  For now, Johnson encourages reading an excerpt from the book which can be found at the following link:

Consistency is the Key

If I had a nickel for every time I've used the word CONSISTENCY since arriving at Whitman Hanson I'd be riding a much nicer bicycle.  CONSISTENCY IS THE KEY element in your summer training as you gear up for the Cross Country season. I, for one, am excited as I've ever been heading into XC with this year's teams.  I won't sugar coat anything.  We open up against two of the top programs in the State (Marshfield and Hingham) and I want you to understand, we MUST be prepared if we are to compete with those teams, and August 22nd is too late to get started.  We have a MANDATORY meeting scheduled for 2:00 next Tuesday (June 21st) on the Outdoor Track.  Summer Training is at the top of our meeting agenda and I honestly expect every athlete interested in achieving his/her maximum potential in the fall to be there. I posted a general training plan yesterday, and plan to provide specific, individual training plans to those who request one.  One thing is clear.  There is room at the top for those who want to be there.  We've lost some major contributors to the success of our teams with the graduations of Tassey, Gordon, Kamperides, Kelly, Boulger and Flynn.  You're being asked to step up, do the work, get to the top of your game, and fill those spots.  I know the potential is there. I know the talent is there.  You'll let us know if the effort is there.  Starting Tuesday.  


No comments:

Post a Comment