Thursday, June 23, 2016

THURSDAY, June 23, 2016 - REMINDERS . . .

At our pre-season meeting I discussed a number of topics, revisited below:

1.  Hanson Library community service opportunity - Those of you who indicated a willingness to help out tomorrow should meet Kate Godwin and myself at the Hanson Library at 10:00AM.  Kate mentioned she had heard from a number of you and we look forward to seeing you there.

2.  Summer Training -  I handed out a training plan and this will serve as a reminder that the sooner you start, the sooner you will acclimate to the heat, work out the soreness associated with initial training, and prepare mentally and physically for the upcoming season.  Earlier this week I looked for a challenging race to run in the next few weeks.  I found an interesting 'duathlon" consisting of a 2 Mile run, a 10 Mile Bike ride, and a 3 Mile Run.  No problem, I thought.  Well, I headed to Southfield for a test run, ran a good two miles, enjoyed the bike ride, and absolutely died on the 3 Mile.  I finished 2 - 10 Minute Miles and called it a day.  The past three days have been somewhat painful after changing things up so dramatically.  The moral of the story is, change hurts (big time!)  Don't wait to get out there.  I'm thinking the last thing you want to do is walk back from the Town Park on our initial 4 mile training run.

3.  ETRAXC -  Again, change hurts.  I get it.  But 30-60 seconds a day to log your mileage is not asking for much.  I know the Duxbury and Hingham teams are logging their miles.  Martha's Vineyard is a reward for summer training and right now we may be limited to a Girls team based on what is being logged.  I won't enter a team that is not prepared and I won't raise this issue again.  Your call . . .

4.  Additional Invitational Meets -  I asked for input on other meets in which you would like to participate.  In the absence of any suggestions I've considered some myself.  The Paul Short Invitational at Lehigh is one I considered but it falls between our Duxbury and Hingham Meets and would require an overnight, so I'm looking for others.  If you have thoughts or suggestions please share them.  I will have to assume there is no interest if there are no suggestions.

5.  Featured Post - If you look up and to the right of this post you will find the "Featured Post."  I will use this to update the summer training schedule.  Weeks 1 and 2 are on the current Featured Post.  I will update it later today to add Week 3 and detail the 3 levels of training (Novice, Intermediate and Experienced.)  The coaching plan is to break out the team in 3 groups in August based on these levels with appropriate training/work outs for your level.  But more on that later . . .

Enjoy the day.  Get out there . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment