Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Location, location, location . . .

I've no idea about the etymology of the phrase, although I've always heard it in connection with real estate values.  It makes sense.  The better the location, the higher the value.  What I wouldn't give to be where the runner in today's blog picture is. . . ideal conditions, ideal location.  Today however, and tomorrow as well, we should have sun and 70+ degrees.  Today is an Easy run of 40-60 minutes followed by Strides, Core, Stretch.  Tomorrow a workout TBD.  Game ball today, perhaps several.  Team pictures tomorrow (THURSDAY) at 2:00 on the sub-varsity soccer field.  Don't be late, Boss Moss yields a big stick!

Yesterday's meet revealed some strengths of our league opponents.  Plymouth North, like Hingham and Duxbury, are deep.  The meet also exposed some of our weaknesses . . . you guessed it, we are not deep.  Talent, right now, is at a premium, but I am hopeful, confident even, that our numbers and potential will have our teams more competitive in the years to come.  But yesterday's losses were not my biggest disappointment of the day.  I rushed home, entered all the results, wrote my news item, and got to sit down for the Celtics game at about 4 minutes in.  Within seconds Gordon Heyward went down, and so did I after the Cavs moved to a 16 point lead.  The game and the potential for a real blowout put me to sleep.  ZZZZZzzzzzzzz.  I woke later to see the game had been tied and watched the closing moments of a surprisingly close game.

At this point in our season, you can all fall asleep if you choose to do so.  Running can be exhilarating.  It was for me.  Victories fuel effort and exuberance.  I know that.  But if you decide to lie down now you may miss the most exciting part of your season, just like I missed that comeback last evening.  Soon enough we'll be cutting our rosters down to 10 Boys, 10 Girls.  Yesterday, I threw out the challenge for you to run your best.  Many of you did.  Today I'll do it again.  Work hard, very hard, during the next two weeks, maybe you'll join that group at the top, designated for post-season championship running.  Fall asleep and you just may miss a great PANTHER comeback . . .

See you at 2:30 . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment