Monday, November 12, 2018

Out with the old . . .

In with the new.  Indoor Track & Field season is here.  I understand the audience I am hoping to reach may be limited to XC kids who are looking to see when our year-end "banquet" will be held, so I won't go into a long harangue just yet about T&F matters.  The truth is, the end of the XC season is somewhat difficult. For me, anyway.  It is, without doubt, my favorite season of any sport with which I've been associated.  Football, basketball, baseball, Track & Field, all pale in comparison to Cross Country.  The athletes are unique in their sportsmanship, athleticism, and yes . . . intellect.  The healthy camaraderie shared by the participants is incredible.  But as your season comes to a close, mine continues because I want others to get that message.  Cross Country is a great sport, with the greatest kids I know.  Year in, year out.  One bit of good news going forward is that almost all our XC runners will remain with us in T&F.  So the only thing I'm losing today are some of the relics I've accumulated over the years . . .

Damn, I miss running!

And maybe, just maybe, we can attract some new student-athletes who want to share our experience!

Recruiting starts today.  If you know somebody who can't run 50 Meters now, I'm pretty sure we can whip them into shape over the next 9 months or so.  Take them for a run. You know all those kids that play pick-up basketball during the fall after school?  Let them know, XC will do a better job of getting them into basketball condition.  Those kids that may have spent much of their season watching games from the bench?  Let them know we have no bench.  ALL are welcome.  Based solely on my observations, which again take into account your friendships, your character, your tenacity and your intelligence, a lot of those kids could use XC as much as we could use them.  Throw out the challenge . . .

Sorry . . . won't see you at 2:30!

No comments:

Post a Comment