Friday, November 9, 2018

Winding down/Gearing up

Ambivalence.  Google it.  It pretty much sums up how I feel this time of year.  Cross Country season is nearing an end.  The warm weather and long, sunny afternoons are behind us now as well.  Customarily I'd be preparing a season review, but I let the Whitman-Hanson Express take care of that this year.  I am unhappy.  Not grief stricken or depressed unhappy, just a tad sad that my most enjoyable season thus far here at Whitman-Hanson is coming to a close.  But, as always, I have a lot to be thankful for, so I won't be mired in self-pity for more than say, the next few words.  Thank you to Administrators, Parents, Student-Athletes, Coaches and last but not least (most, in fact) you kids for tolerating me and affording me the opportunity to do something I find enjoyable and meaningful.  Moving on . . .

The weather for EMass looks to be good for racing.  There may be some wind and it will be overcast and cool, but the important thing is that each athlete from every team will experience the same conditions, so focus on the runner in front of you and not the breeze in your face.  Most of you know the course, but there will be ample time to take another look before your race.  Plan to dress appropriately.  You know how you tolerate those conditions.  MIAA rules require your number be pinned to your jersey so take that into consideration. You can't shed a sweat shirt or jacket and there won't be an old fella on a bike nearby to throw your discarded garments in his back pack!.  Gloves, I'd say are a necessity.  They can be tossed into our tent, which should be along the course, if you don't need them.  It is a spike course as you know.  If you have them, you should wear them.  Despite the chill you should hydrate as usual.  One advantage D3 has is that its races will be held at 1:55 and 3:30, similar to our dual meet and practice schedule. You know what works well for you with regard to food on race day.  Some of you also know what does NOT work.  Again, plan accordingly. I'm two years removed from pre-race jitters, but I vividly recall the feeling (and I even miss the long lines to the bathroom!)  But keep in mind, NONE of you is expected to place first in your race, so if you must, think of it as a "fun" run until the gun goes off.  Then run your tails off like your lives depended on it!!

Short practice at 2:30.  See you there . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment