Monday, December 31, 2018

New Dawn, New Day, New Life

When I thought about a post for the New Year, I lifted the title of today's entry from a popular song.  Popular with my generation anyway.  It goes back a long way, but then again, so do I.  And every New Year I make resolutions.  Some I've kept for decades, others have fallen by the wayside within hours. In retrospect, the resolutions I found meaningful and beneficial, I made a part of my every day life.  Those of lesser significance I abandoned soon after they were uttered. Without regret. This New Year I am wondering what I can do to increase participation in our sport, and I am resolving to do just that.  A short time ago, somebody I respect and admire suggested that what I am trying to do, that is maintain or increase interest in XC and T&F, is an "impossible task."  The speaker may have been right.  I've thought about that conversation countless times and feel confident it was not intended to be hurtful, although I may have, at times, leaned in that direction.  But the statement points out the fact that "hoping" does not equate to "trying."  And more effort has to come from me.  That is one of my resolutions in the year to come.  If you have a goal, whether it be as a student, an athlete, or simply as an individual,  make it meaningful, and resolve to follow through with it.  Every day is a blessing and there is little time to waste. Follow through.  I will be doing just that in 2019.


A little over a week ago, I decided to go through the exercise suggested by Dr. Jones and Mr. Rodgers to post 7 book covers from books I loved.  At that time, I felt it was a difficult task, albeit enjoyable, but that I could "work it out."  I made a mental note to myself at that time, to take a look at words/phrases with multiple meanings, on the basis of "working it out."  I observed the "work out" I was planning, was different from the "work out" I plan for you each day.  Quickly, I thought of other examples, "back up", stand up", push up", break down", you catch my drift.  Then I thought of "full circle."  To come "full circle" means either to circuitously arrive at a new point, or to your point of origin.  Using the latter meaning I decided on my 7th book, which both times I've read served to do just that.  Not an easy read.  Published when I was in single digits, and tells a story that goes back long before that:


Wishing you all a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!



1 comment:

  1. I wish more kids would become interested in t &f especially at WH , you’re a really great coach and provide so much encouragement ... thank you. I don’t think kids know what they are missing.
    Happy new year coach George
    The Amado Family.

    ReplyDelete