Thursday, March 21, 2019

Where have you been, Coach?

It is highly unlikely anybody has noticed a pattern over the years of few, if any, blog entries between the end of the Indoor season and the beginning of Outdoor.  The reason for that is simple.  My primary occupation, by no means my favorite, but it allows me to work the part-time job I really love, demands long hours for the months December through April.  Even during this, the first week of Outdoor practice, I leave my office, head to Whitman-Hanson, only to return to complete more work at the office in the evening.  It pays the bills and keeps me pool-side in July and August.  I have no complaints whatsoever.  I have long held the belief, "stop working, start dying."  I'll continue working, thank you.

But enough of my ramblings, I have a few observations and an announcement.  Almost anybody reading this would like to hear the announcement first and if I were truly a good writer I'd hold your attention and wait to close out this entry with it.  But I don't claim or profess to be anything but an amateur so here is the announcement.  I made five nominations for All-Scholastic for Girls Indoor Track and four were selected.  Those four are (1) Ally Bartlett, team MVP and top point scorer and team best in hurdles, shot put, and long jump, (2) Dorothy Di-Mascio-Donohue, Senior Award recipient and the team's top Pentathlete and high jumper, second in scoring during the Patriot League season, (3) Anna Sullivan, Rookie-of-the-Year and the team's top Miler and 2 Miler who finished 3rd in points for the team, and (4)  Courtney Woodward, the team's top performer in both the 300 and 600,  and recipient of the Coaches Award.  I also want to acknowledge our top 1000 runner, a brilliant relay runner and our #4 point scorer during the season who I believe the Enterprise had a difficult time not selecting - Izzy Amado.  These five girls were all major contributors to a team which despite a poor overall win-loss record were competitive each time out.  Congratulations ladies.

Observations . . . after only 3 days of outdoor practice we can see that on the Girls' side we have the making of a very good team.  The numbers have improved dramatically.  In 2018 we had 35 girls.  Thus far in 2019 there are 62.  On that basis alone I am ecstatic.  But two things stand out already.  We have quite a large group of freshman who will be contributors as things progress AND we have an influx of athletically gifted upperclassmen.  It has been too many years that I've been unable to identify each athlete by name on Day 3, admittedly due in part to the aging process, but more likely the result of smaller teams and fewer names to learn.  I love having this problem!  Please be patient, I'll have every body's names, events and stats memorized before too long.  And I am excited for our opening meet with Plymouth North at Whitman-Hanson on Tuesday April 2 at 3:30.

I am extremely happy with our coaching staff.  Coach S is, as always, enthusiastic and organized . . . "the man with the plan."  His experience in multiple events, coupled with his encouragement for student-athletes to participate in multiple events will result in improved overall results and increased individual enjoyment of Track & Field.  Former W-H student-athletes Samantha Richner, Rob Bunzell and Julia Cosgrave bring youthful enthusiasm along with their experience and familiarity in multiple events.  Jen Scarpelli who was also an outstanding athlete has an infectious love for Track and Field and years of coaching experience.  And finally, Mrs. Kim Coletti is the perfect role model who is not only a talented runner, but mother of some of our most memorable athletes here at W-H.

Observations made . . . it should be a great season.  I'm not one to make predictions, but based on what I've seen, I know we will be a team that can compete with any Patriot League rival.  In fact, I'm counting on it . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment