Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Go TEAM

I was never a basic training drill instructor but I had the experience of being tortured by one for two months.  Bobby Spellings is now nearly 80 years old and lives in the Tennessee Hills in a town of about 2,300.  Frankly, he wouldn't remember my name.  I'll never forget his.  When I first arrived at boot camp I was two years beyond my last workout and checked in north of 230 pounds.  I deserved to be tortured.  Along with a few other "fat guys" I was ridiculed daily, drilled to exhaustion, nearly starved (by my definition), sleep deprived and pushed to my maximum potential.  When basic training concluded with a catered barbeque, at which I enjoyed my first real meal in weeks, I was surprised at how little I ate.  Petty Officer Spellings on that day was almost personable and I took the opportunity to address him.  "Sir," I said, "Thank you for returning me to the best shape I've been in since my final year of high school football."  His response was simply, "10 more pounds and you might look normal!"  I still chuckle to myself thinking about that encounter.  Some guys are never pleased.

I was unable to weigh myself until a couple of days later when I learned that I had indeed lost over 40 pounds and I felt great.  The uniforms I'd been issued were swimming on me and had to be replaced so I didn't look particularly svelte upon leaving boot camp, but I was proud of my accomplishment and thankful for Spellings, my protagonist and mentor.

The whole process of basic training, as I see it, is to change not only the physicality, but also the mentality, of the troops.  Young men and women enter as self-centered individuals and exit as part of a unique team of trained members.  Each understands he/she must rely on the other team members for success.  It is a time honored tradition that continues today in military service.  And it works.  It is a model any organization could benefit from.

Today I reflected on what it is that keeps me returning to coach Cross Country.  This past weekend I saw what I think that is.  A group of very different individuals, of diverse abilities and backgrounds, working together to bond as a team, totally supporting each other to accomplish team goals.  Not unlike the military model.  At Martha's Vineyard, the group there set the bar for our 2019 season.  Those that ran performed to their capabilities while those unable to participate supported them with enthusiasm.  For me it was uplifting.

Cross Country is a great sport.  It has an individual component in that there are no assists as you'll find in soccer, or putouts like baseball.  It is one person versus the clock.  And the clock can be a formidable opponent.  Not everyone can face that competition.  I believe that this year we have found nearly 60 young people who can.  Cross Country also has a team component and that is evident this year.  Each member of the team fully supports his/her teammates.  That is encouraging.  I love this team.

Count on being pushed the rest of the way.  I'd prefer to think that ultimately you will be grateful.  It may not be easy for you and you may even consider "ringing the bell."  But with hard work, dedication and sacrifice, you'll be part of something bigger than yourself.  And when all is said and done you may hear, "ten seconds less and you might have run a good race." But know the speaker will be very, very proud of what you've accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment