Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Seven swans a-swimmin' . . .

Yesterday we had another rainy day practice.  In fact, our kids were out in a downpour.  They enjoyed it immensely.  We stayed on school grounds to insure safety and I traveled along by bike as I customarily do.  I don't know when I've enjoyed a practice more.  As I rode by the tennis courts toward the Junior path I suddenly heard singing.  Singing.  I turned to see our girls team rounding the corner singing Christmas carols.  I slowed down to take it in.  I slowed down long enough for the boys to come past and they started what looked like a running version of "musical chairs" around the flag pole by the baseball field.  Adults, most anyway, love to see happy young people enjoying themselves in good, clean fun.  Like I said, it was a tremendous practice.  It got me thinking though about the relationship between our sport and the happiness that comes from participation in it.  The following links, from incredibly reliable sources, provide evidence that nexus exists.  What is says to me is - if you can run, do it!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/depression-and-exercise/art-20046495

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2019/11/physical-activity-may-protect-those-at-risk-for-depression/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Gazette%2020191106%20(1)

No comments:

Post a Comment