Tuesday, April 21, 2020

There WILL be a Cross Country season

Coach Coletti and I were texting earlier this morning about running in general and I commented that I "can't coach, can't run, the glass is now half empty."   Five hours later I'm looking for the silver lining in today's announcement that schools will not be re-opening this academic year but finding it nearly impossible.  This is obviously a setback for those who enjoy academics.  It will be difficult to make up the work missed.  Something has been forever lost.  And athletics for many is more than a diversion.  Countless kids looking forward to a big season in baseball, softball, lacrosse, track, or tennis.  That too is now lost.  Forever.  Our Seniors hoping to go out with lifelong memories are instead left with the hole that is Spring '20.  And who knows what other rites, ceremonial or otherwise they'll be missing out on.  At my age there are far more tragic occurrences, but for a 17 year old?  Perhaps not.

It's also sad for me to try and wrap my head around the fact there are quite a few terrific kids who have run their final high school race and will be moving on.  I sincerely wish them well.  I have nothing but happy memories, especially for those who spent 11 (should have been 12) seasons with teams I've coached.  Thank you for all you've done for our school, our programs, and for me.  Yes, for me.  This year's Seniors helped me transition into the bicycle rider I am today!  They know what I mean.  Coaching is such an important part of my life, and it is the kids who make that possible.  How many times have I said those hours in the afternoon are the best part of my day?  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  That said, I'll close out with my personal spring season banquet, which actually took place last week thanks to some of those kids who stopped by my house, as you'll note in the picture, and raise a tall Mint Chocolate cocoa to you all.  Take care, Godspeed, you're the BEST!!




No comments:

Post a Comment