Friday, August 14, 2020

August 14, 2020

 

Mr. Rodgers, our Athletic Director sent out a tweet yesterday, which follows below and references an article in the 8/13, Patriot Ledger which can be found at the following link:

https://www.patriotledger.com/sports/20200813/massachusetts-has-released-high-school-sports-guidelines-what-do-they-mean

 This is a good explanation of today’s guidelines. We should have more concrete answers next week after the MIAA board of directors meet. The good news with this is that it seems highly likely many (most) fall sports will be offered in some fashion.

Now before we get ahead of ourselves it is important to note the MIAA has already pushed back the start of fall practice to September 14, a date that I feel is unlikely to change for any sport.  Also, the article indicates “Wednesday’s EEA release was the first step of several . . . that will determine what high school athletics look like this fall in Massachusetts.”  We don’t yet know precisely what to expect this season.

That said, I’m very happy that Cross Country has been designated as a Lower Risk sport, and the guidance suggests that Lower Risk sports can conduct practices and compete with a few modifications.  Those of you who have seen me taking my daily walk around the campus should know it serves a twofold purpose.  I get my 10,000+ steps each day AND I am doing my best to determine the best means of complying with the modifications required if our sport is to compete.

At this point, my thought is to create two additional races at each meet.  A Sub-Varsity 3k, one for the Boys, one for the Girls, can be added to the customary 5K races held for each gender.  I’ve mapped out each course, during my walks, and feel adding these sections would reduce the numbers of athletes competing simultaneously to the point that contact can be nearly eliminated.  I’ve also looked at several different starting lines which would enable us to comply with the 6 foot separation requirement at the start of each race.  The current 5K course would require modification so that the athletes are traveling in one direction, precluding crossing paths, and I have looked at routes that would provide the greatest width possible, or at least the minimum necessary, based on suggested guidelines.  Suffice it to say that I feel very comfortable that Cross Country can meet any and all modifications required.  And finally, I have spoken with Mr. Rodgers concerning transportation to and from meets in the hope of arriving at the best means and method of transporting athletes to away meets.  That may come down to utilizing personal transportation or reduced travel teams in some instances.  But all this leads me to the conclusion that Cross Country can practice and compete safely during the upcoming fall season.  Accordingly, I will continue to prepare for our 2020 season.  The teams, and any other student/athletes who would like to join us, will continue to meet Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 4:00 on the front field for Strength and Conditioning.  The coaches will continue to offer suggestions and training plans to anybody interested in getting ready for the season ahead (and it should be noted many have already taken advantage of this opportunity.)  I don’t feel there is any doubt that a number of our athletes will enjoy their best season yet, but that each one of our members would welcome competition from within and without.  If you know somebody who has the dedication and desire to participate in our sport I would love to speak with them and tell them what we have to offer.  It may be a lot of work, but it can be a lot more fun.  And I don’t imagine there are any better teammates and role models than the kids who run Cross Country. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment