Thursday, November 12, 2020

Thursday November 12, 2020

I woke up to a texted question from one of our athletes . . "hi do we have practice tomorrow"

Nothing makes me happier than when any athlete, after completing a season's worth of work asks the very same day as the final meet, can I do more?  You may not have made the same interpretation of that text message, but knowing the athlete I can assure you that was the motive.

And the answer is, there is no practice today, Thursday.  However, MIAA rules allow us to practice until November 20 and I just sent an email to our AD to clarify this in the hope of extending our season just a tad.  In fact, if a competition opportunity arises I'd love to take advantage of it.  I know Quincy/North Quincy is traveling to Hingham on Monday.  Maybe we could get something started.

On the subject of getting something started, I want to put this out there for your consideration.  Because I'm not on the staff at WHRHS as anything other than a coach, I can't be certain there is not a DEI Club (or the equivalent) but I had a look at the list of WHRHS clubs and found nothing.  Information can be found at the following link and I'd love to see some of our kids involved in the creation of what I believe would be a valuable experience:

http://www.miaa.net/gen/miaa_generated_bin/documents/basic_module/DEI_Club_Information.pdf

More information can be found here:

http://msaa.net/contentm/easy_pages/view.php?page_id=73&sid=35&menu_id=220

So, today take a well-earned day off.  I'll wait to hear from Mr. Rodgers to determine what we can do, for the immediate future anyway, and keep you posted.  But I am sincerely hoping we can practice again tomorrow . . .

Check back here for details.

FOLLOW UP:  If any Cross Country athletes would like to continue practicing through November 20, they are welcome to do so.  There is no requirement other than your desire to participate.  Your season has effectively ended.  Post season awards will be presented on the basis of what you've may have accomplished to this point.  But, I plan to be there at 2:30 tomorrow (Friday) afternoon with a training plan, ready to go. Just in case . . .

                          Theo in an unfamiliar position (the MSTCA CUP promo)


No comments:

Post a Comment