Wednesday, August 17, 2022

OK, here's the MORE . . .

I've been laying low the past month after indicating in my last blog entry there would be much more to follow.  Odd that one as verbose as myself wouldn't have made a couple dozen entries since that time, but honestly, I've been busy with many things relating to Cross Country (and Track and Field as well.)  Writing is not the only thing I do.  

I was extremely disappointed when I was forced to cancel our summer camps due to what I'd term, a tepid response to our social media and advertising blitz.  It wasn't time or energy wasted however; I've learned a valuable lesson.  I am very pleased with the turnout at our Tuesday and Thursday Strength and Conditioning sessions.  We've averaged about 20 student-athletes each evening and I believe the sessions have accomplished their goal.  The core group of kids has made improvements over these weeks and those improvements will translate well during the season ahead.   Those sessions have also provided the rosters for an invitational meet being held on September 10.  We'll be looking forward to participating in the MSTCA Relays at Highland Park.  It should be a great event with teams of three (coed and single gender) running a total of 4.6 miles with each team member running a leg of about 1.5 miles.  

Right now, our Dual Meet schedule can be viewed at the following link:

Whitman-Hanson Cross Country 2022 Dual Meet Schedule

We hope to add another Invitational or two to the mix.  And we will be participating in the Patriot League meet and the State Divisional Meet.  Beyond that . . . you never know.

I've just received 50 uniforms from Boathouse.  As with most things since the pandemic began, prices have gone up. My cost is $40.75.  They are the same uniforms we've had in the past, so if you have one, there will be no need to buy another.  But ALL athletes will require a uniform.  Our first meet is September 8th in Quincy, so plan ahead.  Cash and checks payable to Steve George will be accepted.

Another cause for concern right now is that many of you have not yet registered online at whathletics.com for the upcoming season.  The link to do so is:

2022/2023 Permission Slip

XC is a no-cut sport, but I cannot allow any student-athlete to participate unless he/she has registered and has a current physical on file with the school nurse.  I have ZERO wiggle room in this regard.  If you plan to be at our first practice August 22nd - this coming Monday at 2:30, get it done.  If you are uncertain about your physical, bring a copy to practice and you can present it to Mr. Rodgers or the school nurse.  I require their approval before allowing you to participate.  

Finally, I've got to be honest.  Registrations for Cross Country are somewhat disappointing.  In this area I am a "glass half full" coach.  I recognize, support and encourage all those who make a choice to join our teams.  And I am enormously grateful for their participation.  But I recognize the running boom which got me hooked decades ago won't be back anytime soon.  And perhaps a former runner's comment that it would be better to "sit on the bench, in the rain, for the football team" sums up the thinking of any number of WHRHS students.  But it can't be denied, we have an extraordinary group of highly intelligent, extremely friendly, hard-working, accepting and happy kids.  I am so very proud of each and every one of them.  Truth is . . . I'd like more.  If you know anybody who is up for the challenge and the rewards XC offers, please, please, let them know about us.  

That's it for now.  But I promise MUCH more soon.  Very soon.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment