Monday, October 24, 2022

Back to Basics

This morning I read a number of articles regarding declining math and reading scores among high school students.  I guess because I'm on the periphery of education I take a special interest in the topic.  I'm also concerned as a grandparent of school age students.  And it's troubling to know that with all the technology this generation of students has at its disposal, my generation, simply stated, learned more.   I know that when I was young, my parents took a sincere interest in everything I did.  They read to me nearly every evening after steering me away from the "idiot box", their term for television.  I had countless books, a set of encyclopedias, an enormous dictionary, and a Roget's Thesaurus by the desk in my bedroom.  The desk itself was stocked with paper, pencils, pens, erasers, compass, protractor and ruler.  Even crayons and chalk should I decide to draw.  And I spent countless hours there.  In retrospect, I was a lucky kid.  Today's student will likely chuckle to hear that.  Many might not think it "cool".  I mentioned 20-20 hindsight in my last post.  I'll mention it again.  With 20-20 hindsight I can't thank my parents enough for their efforts. Looking back now, I was "cool."  I'd like to think they would be happy with how their work paid off in the late adulthood and eldership stages of my life. From somewhere I hope they're watching and know, my family, then and now, is my greatest blessing.  And I think we'd all be best served in a return to basics.  Whether it is within our families or within our education system.  Our kids' futures depend on it.

Out here on the periphery however, I have my job to do.  And after a disappointing Dual Meet season the team has returned to basics.  I've gone back to my training logs detailing plans I'd put in place long before I arrived at WHRHS.  To return to what worked before I took on beliefs that today's student-athletes needed coddling.  (All well intentioned, but a very poor idea.)  And getting "back to basics" came to me from the mouths of a handful of student-athletes who made great accomplishments here at Whitman-Hanson and who pointed out their success was based on pushing themselves and each other.  A few weeks back I attended the WHRHS Athletic Hall-of-Fame ceremony at which the 2011 Girls Cross Country Team was inducted.  I vividly recall the team.  I wasn't coaching here at the time, but my team finished 5th at EMass to them that year.  In fact, the next year WH again won Emass, with my team this time finishing 3rd.  The Whitman-Hanson girls were a tough, tough team.  Because they put in the work.  Because they wanted to succeed.  And because they understood the only thing that could hold them back was . . . themselves.  When one of the captains spoke during the team's acceptance speech, she mentioned the summer training, the 40-mile weeks and the difficult workouts they performed and that while it was hard, they loved it.  I know our kids today, want the same thing.  I also feel each and every one of them is willing to put in the effort as well. They don't need, and certainly don't want to be coddled.  And that is the plan going forward.

Within the past two weeks I spoke with a WH graduate, now a college student, who appears to be enjoying the same success he had here at his university.  During his four years here, he mentioned on several occasions, how his mother read constantly to him, and limited his TV time to public broadcasting and its educational environment.  I reminded him of that when I caught up with him.  He reiterated the positive impact his parents influence played in his success thus far and went on to tell me how he is progressing at college.  I was so happy to hear him speak.  Brilliant kid, with a brilliant future.  A lesson I'm glad to learn, which brough back a memory I'm glad to have.  And a method I'm glad to coach from here on out.  Back to basics.  Focused effort.  Hard work.  Love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment