Monday, February 29, 2016

On the eve of March 1

March 1st has always signaled, for me anyway, end of winter.  Technically, and often meteorologically, I know that is not the case.  But I use that date in order to cope with the harsh winter weather which becomes increasingly difficult the older I get.  Having said that, I am now moving on to Spring (Outdoor) Track & Field.  Our practices start three weeks from today!  I will suggest that you begin preparation in the weeks ahead, with general training suggestions for many of you, specific suggestions for others.  But for now I believe the order of business is to ask that you consider your personal goals for the upcoming season.  What do you hope to accomplish over the next few months? While I won't deny my favorite season is the Cross Country season, Spring track follows close behind.  With so many events and so many opportunities to take advantage of your athleticism, the possibilities abound.  This morning, for example, I corresponded with some of the members of the Girls team to determine if they had an interest in the Heptathlon taking place in June.  A challenging competition held over two days, the Heptathlon is an event that you'll be telling your grandchildren about if you're tough enough AND lucky enough to perform well in it.  So get your head into T&F.  The warmer weather should help.  Beginning your physical preparation will help as well.  Your first assignment is to get out and run today, tomorrow at the latest.  Experienced distance runners should run easy and comfortably 4-5 days this week at a pace and for a time that will invigorate and not exhaust them.  Sprinters and mid distance runners should run easy as well, but perhaps not as far/long as our distance crew.  New to the sport?  Get to the track, start with alternating periods of jogging and walking if you must, but acclimate those muscles to something new.  Any pain will disappear over the next couple of weeks.  Don't show up March 21st without a few miles and workouts under your belts!

If anybody has specific questions I am always happy to provide input.  Text messages to 781-367-8487, or e-mail me at stevegeo@post.harvard.edu .  I'll get right back to you.  Can't wait to get started on 3/21 . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment