Thursday, April 28, 2016

He's back . . . .

My absence can be simply explained.  Tax filing season ended April 19th this year, many of the athletes were away during the vacation, and I have been extremely busy catching up on things I've neglected over the past three-four months. However, I have been to every practice.  (Even on those days when 6 athletes reported!)  I've even managed to rid my yard of most of the spring dandelions, and raked leaves that remained from the winter months. I've even squeezed in another half-marathon and taken Mrs. Coach out to dinner several times.  And more recently, I contemplated (briefly) hiring a landscaper, have taken a few days off from running, and even notified the little lady I am on a diet until Memorial Day.  Track and Field continues to be what I am focused upon, but now it takes an even more prominent position in my daily routine.

Today was a tough loss to a very talented and large team from Plymouth North.  My narrative to the media and the W-H staff reads as follows:

The Panthers traveled to Silver Lake High School Thursday afternoon, losing to Plymouth North High School by a score of 96-40.  Senior Captain Samantha Coletti won both the 400 Meter Hurdles (1:06.8) and 800 Meters (2:20) in the losing effort, while Plymouth North standouts Jordan Callahan and Jackie Sullivan led the Plymouth North squad. Whitman-Hanson's Alexandra Santos was also impressive winning the 100 Meter sprint (12.6) and taking 2nd place in both the 200 (26.9) and Long Jump (16' 1".)

Congratulations to Plymouth North.  They have a fantastic coach in John Laverty who has made enormous sacrifices over the years to get his team to where they currently rank.  He has also played a major role in creating an atmosphere of dignity and class as evidenced by his team's cheering us on at every opportunity.  It is a privilege to compete with them.

Congratulations to Samantha Coletti (400H, 800), Alexandra Santos (100, 200) and Lily Nolan (100) who ran State Qualifying times today.  Those kids kept us in it, really.

Special thanks to Tara Adams and "little" Abbie Newman (Andrew's sister) who did bang up jobs maintaining scores in the running and field events.

Good night.  See you all on the Track at 2:15.





No comments:

Post a Comment