Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Back at it . . .

After 7 days without running while tending to a high hamstring strain, I tried it out this morning with 3, yes 3, 10 minute miles. (Actually it was 30 minutes and 3.10 miles.)   Injury tends to put a damper on things physical, but enough is enough.  Painful or not, I had to get back at it, however slowly.  And it was, admittedly, slow.  But in the long run (no pun intended) it is best for you NOT to run in pain.  One of the differences between us is I have a lifetime of running to look back on.  You, on the other hand, have a lifetime of running to look forward to.  I have to get back at it before atrophy sets in, you don't necessarily have to concern yourself with that.  If you are experiencing pain or discomfort in your summer running, take it back.  Ours is a long season.  June to November.  The object of your training is to be race ready on September 1 and in peak condition November 1.  Running in pain during the first week of July is then counter productive if not counter intuitive.  Run smart.

As I jogged (10 minute miles = jogging!) this morning to beat the heat, my thoughts of course went to hydration.  In keeping with the theme of "run smart" please read the article found at the following link:

http://running.competitor.com/2014/06/nutrition/running-101-hydration-during-running_7800

Hyponatremia aside (I've never seen it), the article covers the basics of hydration.  Again "run smart."  Hydrate properly!

Well, it was 7 days without running, but it was also 3 days without working over the 4th.  I am just as anxious to get back to that as I was to get back to running, so its off to the (other) job.  Have a great day!







No comments:

Post a Comment