Monday, August 22, 2016

On Your Marks . . .

There are, as many of you know, two commands at the start of a Cross Country race, or in this case a Cross Country season.  The "gun" goes off on Thursday at 4:00PM.  Last night's meeting went well I thought.  While many of our returning athletes were not in attendance, we had about a dozen Freshmen who appeared as eager as I am to get things underway.  Some quick reminders:

ALL Freshmen should have a copy of his/her most recent physical exam with them (unless you have already provided ME with a copy.)  Physicals are considered current 13 months from the date of the exam.  A new physical is required at any point the exam ages beyond 13 months.  I will make every effort to provide advance notice of an expiring physical, but it is up to you to insure it is current.

Practice Thursday will start at 4:00 and I expect that this practice will last until 5:45-6:00.  We will begin and end practice on the outdoor Track.  When we convene you will be asked to complete a short questionnaire regarding what experience you may have in running, any summer training you've done, and any personal goals you may have for the upcoming season, etc.  Nothing tricky. We will go over emergency protocol and the hazing rules. We will then show everybody the "school mile."  This is a loop around the school grounds on which you will subsequently run . . . twice.  Following this two mile "evaluation run" we will break out into groups based on current abilities, with each group assigned to either additional running or strength and conditioning.  Following this session we will meet as a team for core training and stretching before leaving.

As I mentioned last evening, everybody is expected at practice unless they have an excused absence.  I do take attendance each day.  I can be contacted either by text or e-mail.  While I would prefer to know in advance regarding an absence, I understand that is not always possible.  My rule is that I must be notified by YOU, not a friend, PRIOR to the next day's practice.  I should never have to ask "Where were you yesterday?"  My cell phone number for texting is 781-367-8487.  My e-mail addresses are stevegeo@comcast.net  (home) and stevegeo@post.harvard.edu (work.)  When texting or sending electronic mail please identify yourself by name (I can't tell you how many e-mails I get from unidentified student-athletes.) The one exception to this notification rule is if you are absent from school.  In that instance I will be notified by the office.

So then . . . 4:00 on Thursday.  I am very enthusiastic about getting started and I am looking forward to an enjoyable and rewarding season. I promise you that you will love this sport if you are willing to make the efforts it demands.  I can state, without reservation, that the coaching staff as well as the entire athletic department want to see you succeed.  I also promise we will do anything and everything we can to meet your needs.

See you "on the road!"


No comments:

Post a Comment