Thursday, August 9, 2018

Thursday - August 9, 2018

Positive?  Negative?  Neutral?  Words that describe things like atoms, charges, integers, feedback and words themselves.  One such word is ambivalence , which broadly defined implies mixed emotions about something.  With that word in mind I offer the following video:

https://www.active.com/running/articles/how-to-run-a-mile-without-getting-tired?cmp=18N-PB2000-S20-T9-running-AR2&eps=title_755449

My ambivalence, that is my mixed emotions, in posting the video stems from the hope I have that you will be ready for Day 1, August 23rd and that you won't feel the need to watch the video (although the breathing exercises are instructional for every ability level.)  But I am also aware that some of you have not yet started to run. Perhaps the video will somehow motivate you to put one foot in front of the other now rather than later!

At this time, ALL of you should be considering, if not establishing, your GOALS for the upcoming season.  On Day 1 you will be asked about them.  You will also be asked about your summer training.  Your responses will help the coaching staff create the running groups and workouts early on.  While you are contemplating your goals, we are going through our own checklist.  Practice times, uniforms, emergency procedures and expectations.  Yes, EXPECTATIONS!  That discussion starts today!

I speak with many of you often during the summer.  I pick up on things.  Whether at summer core training or our youth running series, you talk about running.  You also make reference occasionally to those teammates you know are NOT training.  This is YOUR team.  YOU should want results.  Good results.  I am judged by my superiors on your improvement, not necessarily wins and losses.  If you all show up as 10 minute milers and become 8 minute milers by season's end, I can point to the improvement you've made as a positive.  Here's where MY ambivalence kicks in however.  I'm not satisfied with a team of 8 minute milers. And neither are you.  I want our teams to succeed.  Yes, I want you to win.  We can't do that if half the talent is home playing video games all summer or at the beach working on a tan. OUR job is to motivate those kids to work hard, reach their potential and help our teams succeed.  Sure, the training YOU are doing now will go a long way in your individual success this year.  But wouldn't the experience be more satisfying by winning as well?  Today I'm asking you to get out for your run, but before you do that take a moment and remind that teammate who you know is not as diligent as you to GET OUT THERE.  Maybe even ask that they join you!  Right now that tops my list of expectations . . .

Core at four.  See you there.


No comments:

Post a Comment