Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Two Weeks . . . actually 14 days and a wake up,

until we get underway.  This morning I even went over the possibilities in our Patriot League Dual Meet with Hanover.  I handicapped results using previous years times /distances/etc.  Suffice it to say, I hope you're getting ready.  Hanover lost one runner in its "Top 7" and that was #7 on the Boys side.  1-6 for the Hanover Boys are back, 1-7 for the Hanover Girls!  A formidable opponent indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70&t=11s

Over the past several weeks I've alluded to Admiral McRaven's motivational speech which is again linked in the foregoing.  I won't bore you again with the background.  Either you've seen it or you haven't.  But his 6th point  (at about the 11 minute mark) suggesting changes happen with a different approach is a relevant one.  McRaven spoke about the Navy SEAL 25 obstacle course which included a 200 foot "slide for life." The trainees all hung from the rope and worked their way down hand-over-hand except one resourceful guy whose thinking was "outside the box" and who took this approach (and in doing so easily beat his competition.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt__Q4qyGqg

This is relevant inasmuch as this year's in-season training will look demonstrably different than what you've seen in past years. The changes will be seen more by those at the "front of the pack" I'd have to say.  In most training or educational environments you'll notice that often times things are slowed down a little bit allowing those that need a little extra time to catch up.  This year there will be not only the establishment of "groups' based on conditioning/experience/ability, but very different training plans for each group.

Hindsight being 20-20, I've come to realize that I may have held a runner or two back in years past.  Despite every good intention ( i.e. to avoid injury and/or burnout) I realize that with different forms of training the same injury free environment can be accomplished while at the same time improving running results.  I have begun to think outside "the box" that has been my training plan for years.  If you hope to be a part of that, get to work.  I certainly plan to . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment