Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Not so final Cross Country thoughts

The 2018 Cross Country season recently culminated in our year-end banquet.  The gathering is always bittersweet for me.  Sadly, it marks the end of my favorite season, but also provides an opportunity for a final get together with some pretty fantastic assistants and student-athletes.  I won't take up any more of your time singing the praises of a great coaching staff, nor will I ramble on incessantly about the accomplishments of the kids.  If you are reading this, you already know enough about those things.  And as much as I would like to give details about what we are doing in Track & Field this season and next, this is after all a Cross Country blog. That moniker can be expanded legitimately to a Distance running blog, so I will include results and items of interest during the Track seasons on items impacting the participants in the events I personally coach, mid-distance and distance, as well as our XC teams.

I mentioned at our banquet that I had polled the Group 1 runners for their thoughts on how to improve performance in 2019.  Nearly all mentioned the necessity for organized, summer training.  The linked article which follows supports that need.

http://www.220triathlon.com/training/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-stop-training/12732.html

Even if you don't read the entire article it will be well worth your while to scroll down and take a look at the chart which details the periodic effects of detraining as it impacts your musculoskeletal, cardiovascular and psychological systems.

Projecting our 2019 roster, I believe both our teams will be strong.  But I am factoring in an aggressive and demanding period of preparation for those who want to race at the front of the pack.  I've already seen instances of good distance runners stepping away for whatever reason.  Stepping away means stepping back.  If you want to be a jogger the countdown timer may be meaningless, but if you really want to push yourself and be the best distance runner you can be, preparation begins NOW.  Click the following for details . . .

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20190822T00&p0=43&font=cursive

Can't wait to get started!


No comments:

Post a Comment