Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Post #752 - Editorial #1

Yesterday our Athletic Director sent out a text message to all the coaches asking us to communicate our expectations as they relate to today's parade.  Ironically I was asked, via text again, by more than a single athlete, for my reaction if he/she was to miss school and practice to attend the parade.  I gave the textbook response . . . if you are not in school, you can't participate in practice, I'll post the workout on the blog.  I'm sorry.  I lied.  I won't be posting today's workout on the blog.  If you really wanted to do the workout, you'd be in school and at practice.

If there is a hint of anger in the foregoing, again, my apologies.  But honestly, I'm insulted by the question.  This is my 17th season here at Whitman-Hanson and I have expressed nothing but gratitude for the opportunity to work with some truly great kids.  Over those seasons I have missed 10 practices, all during a 13 day hospitalization in 2017.  During that time in the hospital, I sent the workouts to my Assistant each day who handled my duties in my absence. I have a commitment, an obligation, which I take very seriously. I fulfill it each and every day.  Yesterday, I joked with a couple of the boys who asked if I would be at practice today.  My response, "If I'm not, check the obituary page."

I own two homes.  My total real estate tax bills are just a shade under $18,000.00, far greater than the money I earn from coaching.  Those real estate taxes, in part, are earmarked for the education systems of Abington and Whitman.  It troubles me, as a taxpayer, that some of our student/athletes, presumably with the support of their parents, don't feel obligated to get to school each day and take advantage of the opportunity they have been given.

I remember as a high school student, we had a field trip for our History class.  We went to a what was then called the Cinerama in Boston to view a movie, "Gone With the Wind", which told the story of several families' struggles during the Civil War, which we were studying at the time.  It was exciting taking the trip, missing most of the school day and getting to experience an "historical" film.  I understand the excitement that would accompany a trip to the city, on a pleasant day, to experience something described as "historical."  But truth be told . . . well, ask yourself.

While in high school, my youngest daughter NEVER missed a day of classes.  She participated in three sports and NEVER missed a practice.  I know, I drove her the 10 miles each morning and picked her up each evening.  I was happy to do it, she was happy to be there. She was my motivation.  And for her efforts, at graduation, she and 2 other girls who also had perfect attendance, received a bouquet of flowers and recognition of their achievement.  The flowers, in retrospect, meant nothing.  Perfect attendance however meant everything.  The lessons she learned have served her well as an adult, but I'll resist the temptation to gloat concerning her other accomplishments.

Skipping school and attending today's parade, flies in the face of everything I have done and continue to try to do as a parent and a coach.  I am not holding myself out as somebody who is perfect, but can honestly say that every decision I make is borne in doing the "right thing."  Those opting to attend school and practice today won't be thanked, or even recognized for being there, but they will know they have done the "right thing.".  For the others, I'll leave you with the closing lines of "Gone With the Wind" . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnTWxpTQt4

No comments:

Post a Comment