Sunday, June 16, 2019

On the other hand . . .

.  there is PREPARATION.  And since I am already in Cross Country mode, this morning I set out to plan one of our long runs for those who will be ready for it.  It begins here:



Along the Boston Marathon Route the course enters Newton Lower Falls.  An enormous downhill precedes what, for anybody who has ever run the course, is the toughest section of the race - the hills through Newton.  This is the first hill and extends from the Newton line to the Newton-Wellesley Hospital.  If you've prepared, this one is relatively easy. In your first Boston you can get to the top and wonder what all the fuss is about.  Along the way I met up with another old guy . . .



Johnny Kelly finished 58 Boston Marathons !  I can't imagine that.  I trained here for years and haven't covered the course that many times.  His statue is about one mile from the final hill in Newton . . . Heartbreak Hill !


Shown from the bottom, it doesn't look like much, but NOW you know what the fuss is all about.  If you're lucky you get to the top in one piece.


These days I ride the hills.  Today I saw no fewer than 100 runners along the way.  They understand the need for preparation.  In 1982 when I was preparing to run the Boston Marathon for the first time, a friend and I were chugging along up Heartbreak Hill in the middle of a long training run.  Renowned coach Bill Squires was at the top of the hill and told us the guy that was going to win the race (he was trained by Squires) was coming up behind us.  My friend replied with a laugh that he would have to beat us.  Squires laughed and said, "You guys will finish, that's what counts." as Dick Beardsley, who ultimately finished 2nd, powered past us.  

Those who are ready for this 10 Miler will be invited.  It is an historic route, and it will be fun.  I'm ready.  Will you be?



No comments:

Post a Comment