Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Random (maybe not) thoughts . . .

Coaching a "no cut" sport has taken years to get used to.  For some "no cut" is often confused with "no show."  It has taken me a long time to accept that.  Coaching in other sports, baseball for example, generally results in 15 committed kids, showing up every day, willing to go 100% all season.  With basketball you can add to those traits a 365 days per year commitment.  That's how it is. These days I concern myself with and focus on those who share those traits in our sport.  And we have them.  I am grateful to those putting in the effort this summer.  We know who you are and this fall you'll be rewarded.

One of the things that I am thrilled about this fall is that coaching duties will be shared with Coach S and Coach Coletti who share my philosophy and enthusiasm for our sport.  Each has been a tremendous runner in their own right and each is an outstanding coach.  But their coaching goes well beyond putting one foot in front of the other, or instructing you on how to do it.  They are top flight role models.

And on the subject of coaching greats and role models.  A number of deserving WHRHS coaches and athletes were recently selected to the school's Hall of Fame. I can't think of two more deserving inductees than Coach Kevin Black and Sue Moss.  Coach Black has been, and will forever be, the face of Panther Cross Country and Track and Field. In that sense, he is still motivating us here.  His accomplishments are too numerous to list, but I'll summarize it simply by saying, Coach Black is the best. To put Sue Moss's accomplishments into perspective, she was an athlete here when I was an athlete in a rival school.  I never returned after graduation.  She never left!  She has worked tirelessly for more than 50 years (she'll kill me) promoting athletics, whether as a student-athlete, a coach, a photographer or 100 other jobs, here at WHRHS.  I know you all join me in offering our congratulations to two individuals who have given so much to WH!

You can see how my stream of consciousness works.  Coaching, fall, coaching, fall, coaching, fall. I have a few hundred other things on my mind, but I'll go with what's here for now.  Enjoy the day, get out for a run and we'll see YOU . . . on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment