Thursday, March 19, 2020

A Day in the Life . . .

Despite Mrs. Coach's characterization of me as "anti-social", I've always felt that I am simply "busy" and don't have the time to nurture casual friendships like she does.  Social distancing is having a greater impact on her than it is me, but nonetheless the Covid-19 health scare (I maintain it is a crisis only when you or somebody you know contracts it) has had its effect on even me.  But I'm finding things to do between trips to the mailbox to see if my government benefit check, an ill-advised concept, arrives.  But this is not the forum in which I air my thoughts on political matters so I'll get back on "track" . . . where I probably won't see you anytime soon.

A normal night's sleep for me is 6 hours which leaves 18 more to fill each day.  In those hours I simply go about my business with one simple expectation and begin the cycle anew each evening at about 10:00PM.  My simple expectation is that I can look back on the day and feel a sense of accomplishment.  The figurative death knell for me will arrive when I go through the day without that.  So what can I accomplish without social interaction?  I decided yesterday to make note of my comings and goings and found I can still be productive.  Don't be judgmental, some of the things I do have no social value whatsoever, but they fill those lonely hours (I'm chuckling.  Really.)

When I wake up at 4:00AM I check my email, read two papers online (Boston Herald and the NY Times, if only to know what the enemy is up to) and if I have time before my 5:00AM shower watch something on my iPad.  Yesterday it was an episode of  "Are You Being Served" (ribald, but hilarious) which is available on Amazon Prime through the end of the month.  I arrive at my office at 6:45 and enjoy my customary breakfast of Swiss Miss, Lite 'n Fit and a banana and get to work.  I've discouraged clients from doing anything more than just drop off their tax paperwork,  communicating with them via text and email instead and have found this to be a very efficient way to work.  Less talk, more work. Accomplishment!  A dozen tax returns and two months of accounting work completed by 2:00PM!

 Off to practice now . . .  NOT!  Admittedly the hours between 2:00 and 5:00 are ordinarily fun-filled and provide me with a sense of accomplishment almost every day.  And I miss it.  But life goes on so I decided to make a bank deposit (funds I earned and was not given by the government) at the Norwell Branch of my bank and head off to Norris Reservation for my 10,000 steps.  Ah, another accomplishment. 

At Norris Reservation I enjoyed the scenery along the North River and even made a friend!


This seal seemed very content to sit perched on a rock in the sun.  And I'm joking about the friend, it wouldn't have been right to approach the seal, "social distancing" and all.  But I had a great walk and heartily recommend you give the spot a try if you decide to make running part of your day.  I headed back to the office to get the mail out.  All that work I'd accomplished had to get back to the clients and it is best that they don't pick it up.  Then I headed home where Mrs. Coach had prepared an extraordinary meal of corned beef (postponed from Monday due to quickly approaching expiration dates of other items in the refrigerator) followed by our customary political debates which today focused on (what else) the government's reaction to the Covid-19 crisis (my wife's description.) She won the debate as she does every day (no small accomplishment on BOTH our parts) and then I head off to the man cave to read a book, and await her arrival for our weekly viewing of Survivor.



(An excellent read about an obscure chapter in our country's history and thus recommended reading!) Survivor proved to be very entertaining.  I admit, television viewing is NOT an accomplishment by any stretch of the imagination, but I eagerly anticipate Wednesday evenings and last night the show was, in my opinion, the best episode I've seen in 20 years of watching Survivor.  Following Survivor, I went back to reading while Mrs. Coach watched the "Property Brothers" and before we knew it, lights out at 10:00PM.

Looking back at my day, I realize anybody else might find it boring as hell, but I derived some sense of accomplishment and hope to today as well.  I promise not to take up your time with the details.  But with all of this time on my hands because of the change in my 2:00-5:00PM routine, I needed some reassurance that things are still good.  I wake up every day, have a job to go to, can enjoy the outdoors, and find entertainment with somebody I deeply care for.  I honestly hope each and every one of "my kids" and coaching colleagues can do the same.  Hope to see you all . . . SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment