Monday, April 27, 2020

What I'm looking for is . . .

Athletes - Whitman-Hanson students who can accept the challenge, and it is a challenge, of participating in Cross Country.  Distance running is not easy.  In fact, it can be painful, exhausting even dangerous and unhealthy without proper training.  But the truth is it can be exhilarating and rewarding if you work gradually toward your goals.  Maybe the goal is to lose weight, run a 5K or simply try something different.  I've known thousands of kids who have begun their journey with simple goals, and hundreds more who, after accomplishing their initial goal(s) have gone on to achieve far more.  Lifelong fitness, running marathons or even coaching the sport. But here is another challenge.  If you think you are as athletic, tenacious, energetic, or resilient as athletes currently on our teams. Prove it.  I often tell the story that I ran one year of XC as a high school sophomore because I didn't want to sit on the bench as a football player. That is only part of the story.  I played football as an upperclassman, not because I became a two-way starter, but because I wasn't sure I could cut it in XC.  Those kids were tough as nails.  And when my time in football ended, I returned to running, if only to emulate those incredible runners.  And I fell in love with the sport. It is really what explains how my journey led me to Whitman-Hanson.

Scholars - This works in two directions.  Both of which I am very familiar, trust me.  Runners are scholars, scholarly kids become the best runners.  At many schools coaches have access to academic records for one reason or another.  Here at Whitman-Hanson coaches are encouraged to speak with students having difficulty in their classes and to offer support aimed at improving their grades. At other schools, teams are rewarded for having good grades.  At one school I coached, the XC team had the highest GPA of any school team for 10 straight years!  That is not coincidental.  Cross Country coaches have long held the maxim the best place to recruit is in the AP class.  And it is true.  Intelligent kids are friendly, disciplined, flexible, independent and willing to make sacrifices.  What they are not is impulsive, egotistical, unafraid to try something different or short on productivity.  Give me a scholar, and I'll mold them into an accomplished and successful runner.  That is my challenge. That is my promise.  I also promise, that if you become a disciplined and committed runner, all facets of your life, including improved grades will follow.  Believe it.

Leaders -  Within the next two weeks the Captains of the 2019 Cross Country team will be selected.  There may be some surprises, we'll see. But you can be sure those selected will be focused role models.  Committed, trustworthy and honest.  They will communicate well and listen intently.  And they will be passionate about running and have a strong will to succeed.  Leaders do not have to be the fastest runners, although the fastest runners are often good leaders because of the commitment and dedication it takes to get there.  Anybody can be a leader.  Those traits detailed earlier, are traits for which everybody should strive.  Every team member should be prepared for a leadership role at some point. Whether it is being an event captain in Track, or in leading a group of XC athletes with similar abilities.  Leadership in XC is not being the best runner on the team, it is being the best runner you can be.

There you have it.  All you really need is the willingness and desire to become an athlete, a scholar, a leader.  You are not expected to walk through the door with more than that.  For many, a test drive works.  Others develop a love for running after a few months of steady work.  And others, like myself, after trying everything else come to realize. . . distance running is an amazing and unparalelled experience.  All are welcome to give it a try.  You can even start now if you'd like.  We'll give you all the support you need to succeed.  The rest as they say, is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment