Thursday, April 30, 2020

Now what are we supposed to do?

Admittedly, I've moved beyond the "lost" Track and Field season.  I'm disappointed that our Seniors are going out this way, and that our underclassmen won't have the spring season to build upon.  There is a ripple effect of missing out on classes and extra-curricular activities, the extent of which we can't possibly calculate at this point. And there is an enormous impact on those whose structure is "out the window" and are left to function within the restrictions created by the pandemic.  In my case, I go to work each day . . . twice.  I head to the office at 5:00AM and leave for home when the parking lot starts to fill up or I have to go to the bathroom.  I won't walk the halls of the office building. At home I return calls and emails for an hour or two and find something to do until I go for my two hour walk at about 3:00PM (a poor substitute for practice!)  Eventually I return to the office at about 5:00PM and stay long enough to address important issues that arise during the day and then it's home for the night.  A cycle which is fast becoming tedious.  But I'm working it out.  Maybe that's why I'm so intent about Cross Country.

I put out the call for athletes to contact me if they had an interest in a training plan.  I'm disappointed, but not entirely shocked that I've heard from only 5 Boys and 5 Girls.  Uncertainty tends to immobilize people.  And we are in a period of uncertainty.  No doubt about that.  My spirits are buoyed though by the fact that I've found 10 kids who have found the ability to focus and seek to return some of that structure they've lost, into their daily routines.  They won't quit or be forced to inactivity by the current state of affairs. They'll create their own structure and return discipline to their lives.  It may not be smooth or convenient, as is the case with my schedule.  But it does return some sense of order to daily life.  And that is progress.

We've often spoken about goals.  Yesterday I listened to a fascinating presentation in which a Harvard Business School professor downplayed, even dispelled, the notion of goals.  As it relates to our current circumstances, I must agree.  The professor spoke about work, in your case training, being done with intentions, i.e. directional behavior, not specific goals.  And that is a point worth consideration.  August will arrive.  The Cross Country season will take place.  If it is your intention to run XC then start working in that direction.  Get out and work toward that certainty. Get off the couch.  Put the X Box away. Savor your last Ring-Ding and Mountain Dew and take your life back.  I think those who have received his/her individual training plan can see that the plan, rather coincidentally, calls for directional behavior.  Each recommends a plan for training over the next four weeks, with a follow up plan to be provided at the end of the four weeks.  Four weeks in which one's behavior may be positively changed.  At least to the degree that some part of each day is set aside for training.  A progressive, staged action plan designed to get you moving.  Designed to get you motivated for the next step through completion of the last.

I am not optimistic.  Optimism implies that all of you will simply do the appropriate training on your own.  I am however hopeful.  Hopeful that I'll hear from more athletes who want to move in the direction that will help them achieve great things, however non-specific they might now be.  Hopeful that I can be an agent for that positive change.  Hopeful that our XC athletes can achieve things they didn't believe possible. Hopeful for your success.  It begins, and ends, with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment