Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Summer Training Update

Any book or article on the topic of high school cross country running or beginning a running program in general will suggest starting slowly and building up over time with an eye toward a goal you've established for yourself.  Whether it's a 5K or a marathon, the best way to start is to follow a plan designed to get you there, healthy and fit.  I started serious running late by most standards, 27.  I vividly recall leaving my apartment after dark on a late summer evening and doing a 2 mile out-and-back run which took no less than 20 minutes or so.  About 6 months later I ran my first 10K and felt pretty proud finishing in 42:12. And two years later I tried the marathon for the first time and though I didn't exactly break records with a 3:19 finish, I was hooked and ran another 40 years or so.  And in retrospect, I improved dramatically during that time, and while I never really had many noteworthy performances, I'm grateful for running which provided me with a lifetime of good health, countless friendships, and experiences I will never forget.  There are many, many similar stories out there.  And now as a graying mentor to young runners, I hope to help each of them begin their own running story.  

I remember reading or seeing a comic many years ago in which a young man, exhausted and sweating profusely, is asked by an old man, "have you just finished a marathon?"  And the young man, struggling to breathe, blurts out, "No, just a fifteen-minute run!"  Ironic perhaps, but funny for all those who have "been there, done that."


Some of you, I know, are in only your second week of training.  Take pride in, and joy from, finishing a fifteen-minute run.  It could be the start of a long and likely exhilarating, journey.  Know that in time you can achieve almost any goal you establish for yourself in running.  Be patient, follow your plan, and you'll find success in this sport.  

If you need help getting started or the motivation to simply keep going, I invite you to join us at our "Core at Four" Strength and Conditioning sessions held Tuesday and Thursday at WHRHS.  Last week we were out on the grass with body weight exercises, this week we moved into the weight room.  On Thursday, we will be again in the weight room at 4:00PM.  We'd love to see you there.  If you have any questions about summer training, or would like a specific plan designed for you, please let me hear from you.  In the meantime, EASY running, conversational pace, 10% increase per week . . . you've heard my mantra.  


No comments:

Post a Comment