Monday, June 13, 2016

MONDAY, June 13, 2016 - Another Community Service Opportunity

The Whitman Middle School will be holding Field Day on Wednesday afternoon.  Coach Richardson is putting together details, but in the meantime Principal Ferro has requested we provide volunteers to help out. You have an early dismissal on Wednesday and I am hoping some of you will be willing to give some of your time.  If you can spare an hour or two in a worthy cause please let me or Ms. Richardson know.  (Coach Richardson e-mail is:  jennifer.richardson@whrsd.k12.ma.us  .)  Thank you in advance for your thoughtfulness.

I mentioned at last week's meeting that I had changed the picture on the XC blog.  I chose the picture, which depicts 7 runners, because I hope it will serve as a reminder this summer that the coaching staff is looking for 7 runners (7 Boys, 7 Girls) to step up and do what is required to run at the D3 Championship November 12.  I know that date seems 'light years" away, but it will arrive, and you have to ask yourself, "How much do I want to be there?"  For many high school runners, participating at "EMass" is the high point of their running careers.  They work tirelessly to get there.  The championship race is the culmination of their efforts over the preceding six months.  One of the attributes of a successful long distance runner is his/her ability to view things "long term."  We all know success in this sport does not come early, let alone immediately.  Persistent and consistent effort is a requisite.  Whenever I am asked to write up a college recommendation for a distance runner I most often add this fact into my write-up.  College admissions counselors will tell you they love to see evidence of dedication and commitment to long term goals.  No college is seeking applicants with no eye toward the future and who may be gone after a semester or two of floundering.  Apply the foregoing to your running and your studies and success is in your future in both arenas.



No comments:

Post a Comment