Friday, February 9, 2018

I've been there . . .

As we approach what, for most of you, is the last meet of the Indoor season, I find myself reflecting on the Whitman-Hanson Track & Field program and what the future holds for it.  Dwindling numbers in a sport where glory pales in comparison to many of the other options our student-athletes have available to them is only part of the problem we face.  Commitment and dedication are requisite elements in our sport, one can't succeed without them.  Dealing with the elements during the season has had an impact certainly.  And while we have an indoor option, it is after all a walking track and repeated use has resulted in numerous injuries.  




When I came here four years ago I was as enthusiastic as the 15 year old in the picture.  (You may appreciate the venue even if you can't recognize the athlete.)  I remain hopeful that Whitman-Hanson Track and Field can again become the successful and even dominating program it once was.  I am seeking the input of the student-athletes and parents on how to enhance and improve our program.  I don't honestly believe glory is what our kids seek, nor do I believe all our young people lack commitment, or even that winter turns athletic kids off to Track & Field.  What I know is that we are facing an uphill climb as we try to increase awareness and participation.  Admittedly, I am loath to accept criticism, but this is my appeal for your thoughts and ideas.  Let the chips fall where they may, my feelings are irrelevant.  After all, I sincerely want what is best for our young track athletes. Like I said, I've been there . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment